Personal project

GraffDrone

Location: Vancouver, BC
Client: Personal project / School project
Date: June 2015
Link: https://github.com/idfx/dronegraff
Technical environment: Parrot ARDroneSDK, Javascript, HTML, CSS, Node.js

This project was born from the desire to make graffiti more accessible. The dream is to one day be able to attach several cans of paint to a UAV and program it to create art on inaccessible places. During the summer of 2015, I was lucky to work on this project as part of the Computational Poetics course at SIAT. I started with the Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 because it is lightweight and cost-effective, and also it has a very active hacking community (The NodeCopter). After some investigation, I decided that the logo language was a good candidate to make the definition of fly patterns more accessible to the general public. However, it needed a friendly interface for the end user to create their own designs. I came across the work of Max Ogden but the logo interpreter needed to be modified so the drone would create the patterns vertically, not horizontally.